Moreton-in-Marsh is a market town in the Cotswolds, about 5 miles north of Stow-on-the-Wold. The two are alike in their possession of market places surrounded by old buildings of the local Cotswold stone. The Four Shire Stone (also known as the Four Shires Stone), a little to the east of Moreton, marks the historic meeting place of Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, although the Worcestershire boundary is now further to the west.
It seems the Pitmans had a relatively brief sojourn in Moreton, and all we have found there belonged to our family. The first record we have found is the baptism of Mary Pitman in 1802, with no Pitman baptisms after 1815 (in which year the family was noted as living in Didbrook). There are just two occurrences of the surname in the censuses from 1841 to 1891: Richard Pitman and his wife Jane were living there in 1841, whilst the widowed Jane was there in 1851. Jane’s burial in 1861 is the latest Pitman entry we have found in the parish registers.
There is some confusion with surnames in the registers from 1790 to 1820, as there is a family with a similar surname, usually written as Pittam, Pitham or Pittom. This seems to be a completely different and distinct name, but the faded writing in parts of the registers has given rise to mistranscriptions appearing on some sites.