Cirencester, Glos

Cirencester is a market town on the eastern fringes of the Cotswold Hills. Dating back to Roman times, Cirencester became important as a centre of the wool industry during the Middle Ages .

The surname Pitman (sometimes written Pritman, but apparently referring to the same family) appears in the parish registers here as early as 1640/1, with the marriage of Thomas Prittman and Mary Wyatt, but disappears around a century later. We have not yet established definite links between the Pitmans from Cirencester and the surrounding villages and those elsewhere in our area, and it may be that they were connected to Pitman families in nearby Wiltshire, rather than those in Gloucestershire.

Cirencester parish church (the abbey) from the east, published in 1803
(courtesy ancestryimages.com)